"Cast your fears on God and he will sustain you..." (Psalm 55:22)

"For nothing is impossible with God" (Luke 1:37)

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

History

The last few weeks have been a host of activities, most of which were often uncomfortable or taxing but all of which I am happy to endure if it means the end result is that we (J and I) will be parents of a healthy baby(ies) at the end of this journey. A bit of background...we came close to being parents 10 years ago but at 19 weeks my cervix showed signs of funnelling and though placed on strict bed rest, I continued to dilate and at 22 weeks delivered a beautiful, perfect baby boy (Matthew). A subsequent autopsy showed no defects and the conclusion was perhaps an incompetent cervix.

Fast forward and we are ready to try again and we do like happy bunnies but to no avail. Given our ages we decided to seek out the help of RE and we are sent for the usual battery of tests. What we discovered was that my tubes are open and ovarian reserve (egg quantity) appears to be good but I have Endometriosis...WHAT!!!! Now up until now I had great respect for my GYN but I truly believe that he let the ball fall at this point. After the diagnosis, I asked him repeatedly about what that meant for us in terms of getting pregnant and he REPEATEDLY brushed aside my concerns/questions and in fact never discussed the results of the HSG with us. Most of our knowledge came from the mutterings of the Dr performing the HSG procedure...but it was our DR's (GYN) responsibility to review the findings with us. Several months after the HSG, I started experiencing a pain in my right side which intensified after playing a game of tennis (note to self...if in pain don't be guilted into doing some sporting activity just to please others...listen to your body :)) Pain turned out to be the result of a significant endometrioma on right ovary. While at hospital we met our Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE), Dr. B

Initial meeting with RE lasted 3 hours and he was very thorough and it was very clear that mine was not an easy case..indeed the word complex was thrown around a lot. Two IUIs later, we are now in the middle of our first and hopefully only IVF.

No comments:

Post a Comment